Thursday, July 10, 2008

...To a DEEE- Luxe apartment in the Sky-y-y!

It has been a good week for mammon worship here at the Gibson house.

First- I got internet at my home. Internet at my home is one of those things I was going to get one day, when I had a little more money. It was something I would get "One of these days", when thing were a little easier and the car was all paid off, when my Ship had come in, and my Prince had come (or at least the artist formerly known as my Prince.)

Well, now, thanks to the creeping universality of wi-fi "hotspots", there is a wireless high-speed internet connection close enough to my house that I can plug my wireless adapter in to my long unused desktop computer and Voila! I now no longer have to put on pants to go online! (It's still a good idea, though, cause I don't have curtains on all my windows, and my neighbors are already complaining about my lawn.) The connection is not perfectly reliable, but it is totally FREE, so I will try not to complain about occasionally spotty reception.

It Gets Better! I recently lost my Altoids Tin of Goodness. It was lost sometime just after Father's Day, and I had been recently thinking about replacing some of the items lost along with it. Like the 2 Gigabyte Flash Drive that I used to carry around.

Well, I got an e-mail from my wife (which I could receive at home, thanks to my newfound connectivity) saying "Don't buy a Flash Drive - we might be getting one for free!" As it turns out, one of her students works for a big company in such a position as to frequently be given brib- *ahem* -complimentary gift items by people who want their people to be able to talk to his people. His office is apparently overwhelmed with "goodies" obtained in this way. So he decided to show his appreciation for his wonderful instructor by "regifting" her a Flash Drive with a whopping 32 Gigabyte capacity! That is 16 times bigger than the one I used to have, for those of you keeping score at home.
But wait... There's More!

Along with internet at my house, on the same list of things I have really, really wanted -slash- sorta kinda needed for years, is a decent digital camera. I have been armed with only the camera in my cellphone for the last year, and before that, I had no camera at all.

Well guess what came with the Flash Drive? If you guessed "An 8 Megapixel Canon ELPH digital camera, with a 2 Gig Secure Digital Memory card, adjustable wrist strap and rechargeable Lithium-ion battery", then give yourself a pat on the back, and hope that the government never discovers your paranormal psychic abilities.

All of these things were expenses that I just haven't been able to justify, because my wife's job, despite being very personally satisfying, and having wonderful perks (see preceding 3 paragraphs), doesn't actually pay much. So imagine my surprise when, in addition to all the above wonderful surprises, I found out today that My wonderful wife GOT A RAISE!

So what are we going to do now? We're goin' to Disneylan- what? We're not? Oh. We're goin' to Rock City! or maybe Ruby Falls. Or maybe Both! And we will be armed with a new 8-Megapixel Camera when we go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats bro.

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to one-up you or anything, but I've had some good fortune recently too.

I found a quarter today.
I don't wanna try and lessen your victory or anything.... but yeah, it's pretty awesome.
And guess what else... this quarter was made in 2008. It said so right on the front.
BRAND NEW.
And it's freaking shiny. The finishing job on this baby is amazing.

Frank Gibson said...

Yeah, but Jeremy... was it on heads? It is worth nothing unless it was on heads when you found it.

And flipping it over before you pick it up doesn't count. This is cheating, and the Luck Fairies know this.

Anonymous said...

YAY! need I say more? mommasee

Anonymous said...

Wow... that flash drive as about a third more memory than my ipod...

And I must say, it's nice to be able to check your email in your pj's at midnight (or whatever your nocturnal work schedule equivalent of midnight is...) Congrats on the freebies : )